Thursday, April 2, 2009

Hope

This is my prayer: (Psalm 42)

"As the deer pants for the water brooks, So pants my soul for you, O God.

My soul thirts for God, for the living God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?

My tears have been my food day and night, While they continaully say to me, 'Where is God?'

When I remember these things, I pour out my soul within me. For I used to go with the multitude; I went with them to the house of God, With the voice of joy and praise, With a multitude that kept a pilgrim feast.

Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him For the help of His countenance.

O my God, my soul is cast down within me; Therefore I will remember You from the land of the Jordan, And from the heights of Hermon, From the Hill Mizar.

Deep calls unto deep at the noise of your waterfalls; All Your waves and billows have gone over me.

The Lord will command His lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night, His song shall be with me- A prayer to the God of my life

I will say to God my Rock, 'Why have you forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?'

As with the breaking of my bones, my enemies reproach me, While they say to me all day long, 'Where is your God?'

Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; For I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God."


This entire passage of Psalms has always been one of my all time favorite. When I was little and couldn't sleep my mom would come in and sing the song, "As the deer" and I would fall asleep knowing that all is well. My soul was comforted not only because my mommy was there, but that God loved me and I was safe. I say all that to explain how this passage called me to missions.

For the past year and half, it has been the fervent prayer of my heart that God RADICALLY take hold of my life. I wanted him to take everything in my life and make it so that I knew nothing in my life was a result of silly Kelly.

I say to you, don't pray something you TRUELY don't want to happen.
God WILL hold up His end of the deal.
Why do I say this?

Last year I was in a really bad car accident and my Stella was totaled.
I stopped working.
I transferred schools.
all this happened in the matter of 4 months.

While my life around me seemed in shambles, I cried out to God, Why is this happening? Where do I go from here? God showed me a Job 23:9-12.

"But if I go to the east, he is not there; if I go to the west, I do not find him.
When he is at work in the north, I do not see him;
when he turns to the south, I catch no glimpse of him.
But he knows the way that I take;
when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold.
My feet have closely followed his steps;
I have kept to his way without turning aside.
I have not departed from the commands of his lips;
I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread. "


I stopped in my thought process. No matter what, thru losing my car, transferring schools, confusion with my job, God was in control. He knew where I was, He had never left me, I would come forth as gold.

Where would I go from here? I knew God was in control and I knew that God had something special for me in the rollercoaster that had become my life. I began to pray and God showed me Psalm 42. The one clear message that came screaming thru was a message of Hope. All I knew is that I wanted to place my hope in Him. The intensity of God's presence overwhelmed me with that passage. I knew that I would have to put my complete reliance in the power of Christ. Where would that reliance lead me?

I was re-reading some of my favorite C.S. Lewis, The Magicians's Nephew. In my infinate nerdiness, I decided to look up stuff about Europe. When I enjoy a book, I like to lookup stuff about the location of the book that I am reading. Get a sense of where the author is coming from and, I like to learn. The things that I was reading overwhelmed me. The sadness, the hopelessness that seems to grip Europe and the younger generations there.

I wanted to do something about it. So I went looking for opportunities. There were 3 places that interested me, The UK! Belgium! and Mexico!

Any of those options would have been an adventure. the UK, because my heart was breaking for a country with such a rich spiritual history; Belgium, because the story of the Holocaust has deeply touched my heart; and Mexico, where my passion and heart for missions first entered my life.

I prayed.

I talked with my mom.

I applied.

I waited.....
and waited...
and waited.
while waiting, I woke up at 2am and just layed it out to God. I wanted to truely make sure that my decision to apply and take that leap of faith to serve Him for 6 uninterrupted months was what HE wanted and not selfish Kelly. I was up to about 4 and then fell into an exhausted sleep.
I slept
woke up
and received the e-mail that told me I was a go!!!

Now I am here, not really knowing what God has in store for me come December when I come back. Right now, my plan is to finish school and then see where God leads.
It scares me because I've always been the girl with the plan, known where I was going and how I was going to get there.
Now, Kelly is out of the picture and God is in control.
The desire of my heart is to serve God with my life. How God wants me to accomplish that, I am unsure. But one thing I know, I must leave everything behind and push forward to the goal that He has for me.

1 comment: